The secret to this recipe is not overcooking the shrimp – you want them to be plump and juicy! Serves 6 but can easily be doubled or even tripled.
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 medium sized white onion
1 1/2 lbs of uncooked shrimp, peeled, de-veined and cut lengthwise
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp. butter
1 to 2 jalapeño, stem and seeds removed, and finely sliced
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1/2 bunch of Italian parsley leaves (or if you prefer, cilantro), finely chopped
24 corn tortillas warmed on a skillet and wrapped in a cloth to keep warm
2 limes, quartered
COOKING AND ASSEMBLY
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it just starts to smoke
- Add the onions and cook until they just start to wilt – about 1 minute
- Add the shrimp and cook until they just start to turn pink.
- Add butter, jalapeño and garlic and cook for another minute or so - but be careful not to overcook the shrimp!
- Turn off heat and add the chopped parsley