Making homemade pasta is not only simple and easy but it is also a healthier alternative to store-bought pasta. With just two basic ingredients, you can create a delicious, fresh, and flavorful pasta that is perfect for any occasion. In this recipe you will find ingredients and directions for making pasta dough from scratch. So grab your apron, and let's get started!
- 2 cups of flour ("00" soft wheat flour preferred - if not available, all-purpose flour will work)
- 2 large eggs
- extra flour or water as needed
- Start by making a mound of the flour directly on the countertop. Make a deep crater in the top and add the eggs.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5 - 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add water or flour as needed until the consistency is similar to play-doh.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the gluten in the flour to relax and make the dough easier to roll out.
- Roll the dough into thin sheets using a rolling pin or pasta roller. The thinner the sheets, the more delicate the pasta will be (recommended 1-2mm).
- Cut the sheets into rectangles.
PASTA CHITARRA: Place rectangles on top of chitarra wires. Use rolling pin with light-to-moderate pressure to cut the strands.
PASTA CUTTERS: Roll pasta rolling pin cutter across dough with hard pressure.
KNIFE: Use a knife to cut desired noodle length into the rectangles.
- Let the pasta air dry for about 15 minutes in swirled nests on a floured surface or hand on a pasta drying rack.
- Gently place the noodles in a large pot of salted water for about 2-3 minutes, or until it's al dente (pasta should rise to the top). Be careful not to overcook the pasta, as it will become mushy.
- Drain the pasta and serve it with your favorite sauce, or top it with grated cheese and fresh herbs.
Enjoy your homemade pasta with a glass of red wine and good company. The texture, flavor, and freshness of homemade pasta are unbeatable, and it's a great way to enjoy a healthy and satisfying meal. This recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to try their hand at making pasta from scratch, and it's sure to impress your family and friends. Enjoy!
Here are some pasta making tools we offer here at Verve Culture that will make your process much easier: Italian Pasta Chitarra, Italian Mattarello Pasta Rolling Pin, and Italian Beechwood Collapsible Pasta Drying Rack.