Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Recipe and Photography by Sam Burgess
Delve into the enchanting world of Thai cuisine with these exquisite Green Curry Shrimp Skewers, accompanied by a zesty grapefruit salad. This recipe takes you on a journey to Thailand, where aromatic spices and fresh herbs combine to create a symphony of flavors. Whether you're looking for an impressive appetizer, a light lunch, or a delightful dinner, these skewers are your ticket to a culinary adventure!
- Whole packet Verve Culture Organic Green Curry Paste (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon Verve Culture Organic Curry Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons choice of oil (olive oil or vegetable oil)
- 1 pound (453 grams) of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Bamboo skewers, as needed
- 1 large grapefruit or 2 small grapefruits, peeled and segmented
- 2 avocados, pitted and diced
- 1 large shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 green serrano chili, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon Verve Culture Organic Dried Herbs, crushed
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup toasted cashews, chopped, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
Step 1: Marinate the Shrimp
- In a large bowl, combine the whole packet of Verve Culture Organic Green Curry Paste, 1 tablespoon of Verve Culture Organic Curry Seasoning, lime juice (don't forget to zest the lime before juicing), and oil. Add the peeled and deveined shrimp, tossing them gently to coat in this aromatic marinade. Allow the shrimp to marinate for at least 25 minutes, up to 1 hour.
Step 2: Prepare the Grapefruit Salad
- Begin by slicing off the top and bottom of the grapefruit(s). Using your knife, follow the curve of the fruit to remove the remaining peel. Following the inner white pith as a guide, slice out each luscious segment and gently place them into a mixing bowl.
- Add the diced avocado, thinly sliced shallot, chopped cilantro, thinly sliced serrano chili (if you crave some heat), rice vinegar, lime zest, and crushed Verve Culture Organic Dried Herbs. Toss these vibrant ingredients together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl, garnishing it with half of the chopped cashews and more fresh cilantro.
Step 3: Grill the Shrimp Skewers
- While your shrimp marinate, preheat the grill on high for about 10 minutes. Thread the marinated shrimp onto the bamboo skewers, discarding any excess marinade.
- Brush the grill grates with oil or use an oil spray. Place the shrimp skewers on the hot side of the grill and cook until the shrimp turn opaque, which should take about 2-3 minutes per side. Flip them and cook for another 2 minutes. Once they're cooked to perfection, remove the skewers from the grill and arrange them on a serving plate.
Step 4: Final Touches
- Elevate the flavor profile of the shrimp by garnishing them with the remaining chopped cashews, lime wedges, and an extra sprinkle of cilantro. Serve these succulent skewers immediately alongside the prepared grapefruit salad.
- If you're using bamboo skewers, remember to soak them in water for 30 minutes before threading the shrimp. This prevents them from burning on the grill.
- If you don't have access to a grill, a grill pan over medium-high heat works just as well for cooking the shrimp.
- For a more substantial meal, pair these delicious skewers with steamed jasmine rice or quinoa, adding an extra layer of authenticity to your Thai culinary experience.
Embark on a culinary journey that brings the bold flavors of Thailand to your table. These Green Curry Shrimp Skewers, paired with a refreshing grapefruit salad, will dazzle your taste buds and transport you to the heart of Thai cuisine. Enjoy your delicious adventure!